Sunday, May 3, 2009

A Homecoming of Sorts

I kept hoping I'd have time on my lunch breaks to set up some appointments to check out some apartments in the Eugene area, but I kept too busy to do any of that. Thankfully I have family that lives reasonably close to where I'll be working (about 40 min drive), so I have a base of operations to work from in my quest for a longer-term home. Even though it's a short visit, I was welcomed by many:

My first surprise hit me before I had even turned in the driveway. A massive black form was in the front pasture, which left me puzzled because our last large animal had passed on a couple months ago, leaving the farm without any livestock for the first time since it was settled over a hundred years ago. I almost ran into the ditch as I reminisced. That could've been embarrassing.


This breed is so much larger than what we've historically had. For some reason, the smaller one tends to be intimidated. I know I'd be! It turns out we'll be able to lease out our pasture to the same farm family that's leasing the rest of the land for grass seed, so at least the property can still be used.

A much smaller, much more ancient, much more familiar friend also showed up to greet me.

She's almost as old as I am.

Of course, there are people around here, too. They're glad that I'm able to stop by for a few days and visit. Perhaps even join in on the weekly tradition of Sunday afternoon gameplay?

The countdown is on to the first day at the new workplace. I'm trying not to be too nervous. My first experience in customer service wasn't too pleasant. It wasn't anybody's fault, I was just coming in at an inopportune time for someone who, being a perfectionist, wanted to be trained first and do everything right. Now that I'm coming into a branch that's not quite so fast-paced, armed with knowledge on the other side of the business and a long-standing reputation (mostly good?!), I should hopefully get past any remnants of post-traumatic stress from the last time I was on the phones. Lunch break agenda: arrange appointments for apartment viewing and figure out where I can buy more work clothes. I hope I get a long lunch break - when else will I get my nap?!


No comments:

Post a Comment