My friend Erin and I met Katie downtown via the Max (sorry you couldn't make it, Steven!) in search of our first destination of the evening. Erin and I realized on the way that neither of us knew which stop we should get off at, or knew where the cross street might be. We were getting ready to play it by ear, but fortunately Katie had already found the area the mini-golf course (is that what you call it?) was supposed to be at. I never thought I'd be looking for an underground-glow-in-the-dark-pirate-themed-mini-golf-course that just happened to reside under the Hilton in downtown Portland. Sure enough, there it was: http://glowinggreens.com/ !!! We had a blast but, alas, I once again failed to have the camera with me.
Afterwards, around 10pm, we were walking around downtown in 65 degree weather and, all of a sudden, commotion was reverberating off the skyscrapers around us. We weren't sure if a thunderstorm came in, if a max car was repeatedly derailing and re-railing, or if the US was being invaded via the Willamette River. But then we saw some fireworks reflecting off some of the windows, so Erin and I made our way down to the waterfront. Katie needed to go home - apparently she prefers looking at cadavers early in the morning over fireworks. I know, I know, I don't understand it, either. Girls are funny that way. It was a great fireworks show. It's pretty cool how they hav
e the barge down on the river setting them off, and they explode right over you and fill up your whole vision. I asked the person next to us what they were for, and he said it was for Cinco de Mayo. For those of you who don't "habla espanol," el cinco is Spanish for ... el ... fifth. Before I could point that out and clarify that it was the first of May, he went on to say that it was the kickoff for a weeklong celebration. I still think the more likely answer is that the city of Portland wanted to send me off properly with a fireworks show, for which I'm grateful. Afterall, who celebrates the fifth of May on the first? It had to be for me. It was a great way to finish off the week. Well, I've been settled for almost a year now. I suppose it's time to roam south...
No comments:
Post a Comment