Yen has to work today, so Steve and I, armed with our 3-day transit passes, head out to explore the city. We saw all sorts of things, and I have no idea how far we walked, and I don't think we'll ever know. But it was one of those things you don't realize until the end of the day and you're telling someone else about it.
Tons of buildings everywhere, lots of people, lots of trains, lots of horns. It was great. And the best part of the whole day was that even as cold as it was, my ears never bothered me! At first I tried buying some cheap earmuffs (some device called a 180?), but I accidentally broke them I decided I was better off without anyway. For those of you who don't know, this was significant: normally my ears are the first thing to bother me, even in 40 degree weather. So wandering around outside for most of the day in Chicago in December without them bothering me at all was awesome!
So we wandered through stores, and navigated through not only various blocks but layers of the city. One moment I could swear we were on the ground level, but nex thing I knew we were actually on a bridge a couple of levels up with a train below, and a street below that! I doubt we still know how deep the city really gets before we'd hit the sewers. We made it down to the waterfront before beginning a search for food. We had lunch on an upper floor of one of the buildings. It had a huge window that I suspect was letting in cold air, and some waterways that led up to a fountain that was not running (so I just pretended).
We spent the remainder of the afternoon wandering around, and then worked our way back to Yen's workplace. We helped her close up after her last class, and she took us on a highway that gave us a good view of the skyline, as well as driving down the Magnificent Mile: the more famous stretch of shopping, etc for Chicago. And then we headed to a favorite pizza place of Yen's to have some Chicago deep-dish pizza. Of course, it tasted great. I grabbed a beer, took a picture, and sent it to my sister since I was missing her 21st birthday tonight. Here's to you, sis!
Tons of buildings everywhere, lots of people, lots of trains, lots of horns. It was great. And the best part of the whole day was that even as cold as it was, my ears never bothered me! At first I tried buying some cheap earmuffs (some device called a 180?), but I accidentally broke them I decided I was better off without anyway. For those of you who don't know, this was significant: normally my ears are the first thing to bother me, even in 40 degree weather. So wandering around outside for most of the day in Chicago in December without them bothering me at all was awesome!
So we wandered through stores, and navigated through not only various blocks but layers of the city. One moment I could swear we were on the ground level, but nex thing I knew we were actually on a bridge a couple of levels up with a train below, and a street below that! I doubt we still know how deep the city really gets before we'd hit the sewers. We made it down to the waterfront before beginning a search for food. We had lunch on an upper floor of one of the buildings. It had a huge window that I suspect was letting in cold air, and some waterways that led up to a fountain that was not running (so I just pretended).
We spent the remainder of the afternoon wandering around, and then worked our way back to Yen's workplace. We helped her close up after her last class, and she took us on a highway that gave us a good view of the skyline, as well as driving down the Magnificent Mile: the more famous stretch of shopping, etc for Chicago. And then we headed to a favorite pizza place of Yen's to have some Chicago deep-dish pizza. Of course, it tasted great. I grabbed a beer, took a picture, and sent it to my sister since I was missing her 21st birthday tonight. Here's to you, sis!
No comments:
Post a Comment